If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quick Review: True Grit

I'm not sure if it's good that, when someone remakes a movie, either I never saw the original or saw it so long ago that it's not fresh in my mind. So I can't compare the new version of "True Grit" to the original. I can say that it's very, very good but I can't quite put it in the "exceptional" category. There's strong acting from everyone -- Jeff Bridges as U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn, Matt Damon as LaBoeuf. the Texas Ranger, Josh Brolin as Tom Chaney and young Hailee Steinfeld as 14-year-old Mattie Ross, whose father was killed by Chaney, leading her to hire Cogburn to track him down. It was just a bit slow to start, and there were a few times when I had trouble understanding what Cogburn was saying (not sure if this was something Bridges was doing or a sign of hearing loss/lack of paying attention on my part -- yikes). But there are moments when it truly rises to the occasion. Just not quite enough to raise this grade...My grade: B-plus.

No comments: