If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Come ON, Twitter...

I know Twitter (and Facebook) probably uses keywords to help you identify people/places/things you might want to follow/friend/Like, but you just have to wonder about their automated processes when it comes up with something like this. I saw a tweet that mentioned Daniel Hernandez, the 20-year-old intern to Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords who helped save her life when she was shot in Tucson, attending tomorrow's State of the Union address. Turns out he has a Twitter account. When I clicked on the link to his page and saw this, I was flabbergasted. Check out the "Similar to" suggestion in the bottom right-hand corner:


In what world is a student/intern similar to a drag queen from a TV show? I don't think this would fly in Bizarro World. This is nothing against Pandora Boxx -- and hey, tonight is the Season 3 premiere of RuPaul's Drag Race, and I'll be watching. But these Twitter/Facebook suggestions are virtually useless. Sure, I've complained about this issue before and I know nothing will change, but some things are just too weird to let pass without comment.

And by the way, someday I think I'll have to write about those shootings in Tucson and the issues that surround it. But not right now. If you know me you can probably guess a lot of what I will say, anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe Daniel Hernandez is gay, and perhaps he follows other gay 'celebrities.' Hence the follow suggestion.