If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

IMAX Fraud

I knew it. I remember seeing a movie in the IMAX theater at AMC Neshaminy and thinking that the screen isn't that much larger than a regular screen. But Entertainment Weekly's blog Inside Movies, in a post about IMAX and its success in 2010, pointed out (with the help of an amusing blog post from 2009 by actor/comedian Aziz Ansari) that the theaters that are labeled "IMAX Experience" -- including the one that just opened at the AMC Franklin Mills near my home, are much smaller than the true IMAX screens, such as the AMC Lincoln Square on New York's Upper West Side where I saw "Superman Returns". Check out this graphic:


The Empire 25 in the graphic is in Times Square. I don't know the exact dimensions of the Franklin Mills or Neshaminy IMAX Experience screens, but I assume the size is similar. Don't be fooled. If it says "IMAX Experience" it's not worth the extra money they charge. It's not real IMAX.

No comments: