If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quick Review: Black Swan

The following sentence may need a SPOILER ALERT!!!! -- although I think this plot point has gotten out there already. There's a lesbian sex scene in "Black Swan." And it scared me a little. I think it even made me a little more gay, if that's possible. Holy crap! This is, for the most part, a very intense film. A new production of "Swan Lake" requires a ballet dancer to play both the pure, composed White Swan and its opposite, the wild Black Swan. Nina (Natalie Portman) is perfect for the White Swan but the director (Vincent Cassel) doesn't think she can handle the Black Swan. After a confrontation, he gives her the part. But can she handle the stress of the role, not to mention her alternate, Lily (Mila Kunis), who may or may not be angling to replace her? And don't get me started on Nina's strange life at home with her controlling mother (Barbara Hershey). My only complaint with the movie is that it's pretty obvious what is actually happening to Nina. Well, that and the lesbian sex scene. I've been scarred for life, I tell you. My grade: A-minus.

No comments: