If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Quick Reviews: The Wolfman, The Crazies

I still need to get to the two Oscar Best Picture nominees I haven't seen yet. One, "The Hurt Locker" is at one of the Ritz theaters downtown. The other, "A Serious Man," isn't playing but I think I can watch it at home through On Demand. Only a week to go! Meanwhile...

"The Wolfman" is a remake of the 1941 film. It stars Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins. I didn't have high hopes, but, just like with "From Paris With Love," I was hoping for some fun. Instead, it was just dull. Not horrendously bad, but definitely a wait-for-the-DVD at best. The release date had been pushed back a number of times. I wouldn't have minded if they kept pushing. My grade: D-plus.

On the other hand, "The Crazies" -- also a remake, as it turns out -- was a lot of fun at times. People in a quiet little farming community in Iowa suddenly start acting, well, crazy. The town's sheriff (Timothy Olyphant) starts to investigate and finds a possible solution. Things get out of control when the military swoops in. It becomes an entirely different movie at that point -- not as much fun. Still, it's definitely worth checking out. My grade: B.

No comments: