If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Week In Comics 3-17-10

Today I ended up buying 7 books, because I picked up two that were put out on March 3rd but held off on buying then. So when I write about today's purchases I'll have extra work to do. Actually, I'll have to read them first. I've only gotten to 2 of the 7 so far today because I went to see a movie this afternoon. Not my best idea, as you'll read about sometime in the next few days. Meanwhile, here's what I picked up last week:

Supergirl 51: Here's why I should read more carefully: when I first read this I was confused. The cover shows Supergirl attacking Superboy -- don't you love it when writers contrive to have heroes fighting each other? Sometimes, of course, what's depicted on the cover is either misleading or has absolutely nothing to do with what's inside. But I digress. Inside, we see Supergirl and Mon-El on New Krypton fighting off Brainiac's attack drones, until Mon-El learns that Superboy and the team of Legionnaires from the future are in trouble. Supergirl rushes off to help them...and is next seen attacking Superboy and calling him a "terrorist," then she's outside again fighting Brainiac's machines, then she hears her mother Alura in need of help and rushes off, only to find Superboy keeping Alura at bay forcibly...the whole sequence and what follows made little sense, except for the fact that the first time I thought I saw Supergirl go after Superboy, it was actually Alura. Once I figured that out, it made perfect sense!

Superman 80-Page Giant 1: A special issue, having absolutely nothing to do with the whole New Krypton deal. Just a series of stories with different writers and artists, completely unconnected except for Superman. Kind of refreshing, in a way, especially since over the last year (in our time, not in comic book time) Superman's been away from Metropolis and out of his regular outfit. Some of the stories are bordering on silly, though.

Simpsons Comics 164: Homer has car troubles. D'oh! And he's eaten by a giant Al Gore. Well, that part was in a dream, but still...

No comments: