If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Friday, March 5, 2010

It's Really Hard...

I know what you thought when you saw the title of this post. You perverts. Get that thought out of your head. I'm referring to my new external hard drive. I am finally backing up my files. Hopefully.

Through a link posted on SlickDeals.net I found a nice deal on a Western Digital My Passport Elite 500 GB portable external hard drive. It arrived today. I plugged it into the USB port. Eventually I figured out I'd have to install software. There were 4 categories of things to install, one of them didn't install for some reason. The instructions that came with it are non-existent, and the online help at their website is about as useless. I couldn't figure out how to start a backup or anything.

Finally, I decided to just back up my files using my Norton Security Suite -- the one that just replaced McAfee as the security package Comcast provides free to its Internet customers. It seems to be working as I write this. If it doesn't then I hope someone reading this is a computer genius and can help me.

This is a big deal because I'll have backups of my photos and some documents, and especially my mp3 files.  I wouldn't want to have to copy those from my CD again, and I have plenty of downloads that have never been backed up or burned to CDs. Losing a lot of them would be a disaster.

No comments: