If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Week In Comics 3-10-10

Ah, Wednesdays. I go into Center City to get my comics and pick up the new Philadelphia Weekly, the paper that carries "Savage Love." Sure, I could read the column online, especially since both PW and its competitor among free weeklies, the Philadelphia CityPaper, seem to be moving more of their content online as the print editions gradually get smaller. But I'm still old-fashioned that way. As amazing as the Internet is, I still prefer reading papers and magazines (and comics) I hold in my hand. Even if someone gave me a Kindle or iPad I don't know if that would change.

Weekly World News 3 (of 4?): The question mark is because the publisher would like to continue the series but only if it sells. So do me a favor and run out and buy 10 copies. At any rate, the alternate cover of this one is a takeoff on the old Coppertone ad, but with Bat Boy instead of the Coppertone girl. Partial Bat Boy nudity alert! When you get past the cover, you'll find that right-wing columnist Ed Anger finally is successful in discrediting Bat Boy, Manigator, etc., with the help of "Faux" News. Gee, I wonder which network they're lampooning?

Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton 1 (of 3): There's no comparison between this and the 12-issue series that preceded it (World of New Krypton). Instead of a dragged-out murder mystery and Kryptonian internal politics, we get Brainiac attacking New Krypton and General Zod's counter-measure leading to the end of Commander Kal-El -- and the return of Superman. Lots of action. Speaking of which...

Action Comics 887: This book has been following the saga of Nightwing and Flamebird's attempt to capture agents of Zod hiding on Earth, and it's coming to a head as one of those agents has constructed a manifestation of the Kryptonian god Rao. It's incredibly huge and stomping across the Middle East. As Nightwing and Flamebird try and stop it, Lois Lane uses her connections to get to the scene for a first-hand report -- via blog, since she had to quit the Daily Planet thanks to her father's anti-Kryptonian hysteria.

No comments: