If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Quick Reviews: Potter 7.2, Crazy Stupid Love, Rise/Planet of the Apes

Five movies over the last two weeks. I've let this go way too long and can't motivate myself to write separate posts for each of these, so I'm doing this in two posts.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2: Pretty much everything you'd expect from the final Potter movie, even if you didn't read the books. One of the hyped moments was the first kiss between Ron and Hermione, but what I really liked was their immediate reaction once the kiss was over. My grade: B-plus.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.: Why do we need, two commas and a, period in the title.? Very good, made me laugh, a little contrived, a plot twist near the end caught me completely off-guard (although some apparently guessed it in the trailer). Ryan Gosling: yum. My grade: B-plus.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes: I've dubbed this a preseboot: a prequel/sequel/reboot of the franchise. Technically it's only a reboot but this is my word. I like that it gave a plausible explanation of how the "rise" actually starts, and how the story makes you root for the apes to win. James Franco's talent is kind of wasted, though. My grade: A-minus.

No comments: