If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Today's DJT (Dumb Joe Tale)

I was looking at the current statement for one of my credit card accounts, and saw a $25.00 transaction listed that I didn't have a receipt for and had no memory of. The statement listing said "PNL Advertising" followed by what turned out to be a phone number (there was a 0 in front of it so I didn't realize it was a phone number). I called the credit card company and the woman I spoke to said it was for "books, or a newspaper or magazine" based on the info in their system.

Still didn't ring a bell. If it was a book, if I didn't buy it in a store (such as Borders) I bought it from Amazon. The magazines I get in the mail (Entertainment Weekly, Sports Illustrated) were obtained by redeeming Dividend Miles from US Airways. The last payment I made for my Daily News subscription was in June and the payment covers delivery through mid-December. I did not authorize any auto-renew option. For a moment I thought that might be it, thinking the "PN" in "PNL" might stand for Philadelphia Newspapers. But the "L" threw me off. Also, it referred to advertising and I didn't take out any ads. It made no sense. I asked if there were any more details about it, because if I knew where the store was where the transaction occurred (if there was a store) it might jog my memory. She found an address -- in York, Pennsylvania. I've never been to York in my life.

The credit card rep said I should call the number on the statement first, and gave me another number to call for disputed transactions if I didn't get it resolved. I called the number and got a voice mail that said, "If you're calling about a credit card transaction for PNL Advertising please call..." followed by a different number. I started to really get agitated, thinking that this obviously was a scam. But how? The card has never been stolen, and I haven't even used it lately except for a couple of transactions in September that were done online.

The voicemail continued: "If you're calling about a credit card transaction for Philly Dealyo..."

I hung up the phone, feeling incredibly stupid. Remember the half-price B-52's ticket I bought? Yeah. That. D'oh.

6 comments:

brad said...

Ha, did the same thing. But it was for advertising in the Philly inquirer \ Philly.com.

Anonymous said...

Same with me. Mine was for a 1/2 off deal. Would be nice if they mentioned what it would be listed as on the bill, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe! Somewhere in the transaction process it seemed to indicate how the charge would show up, but who the heck remembers PNL Advertising? I just spent nearly an hour tracking this all down, and it was only this blog entry that explained what it is. Dealyo ought to get a better credit card processing name and put the phone number where it is supposed to be in the charge record, or they're going to get chargebacks --- and those are expensive and hurt their processing fee structure.

Anonymous said...

WHEW! I just saw this on a brand new card and thought I had a new world record for a stolen card. I bought a restaurant voucher from Philly Dealyo. Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for helping me remember what my $20 transaction was for! lol

Anonymous said...

And a big thanks from me, too! I was sure I'd been scammed. :)