If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Some More Random Musings

Random funny picture.
A few randomly random items to hold you over while I gear up to write about those three movies I saw recently. Starting with some sports stuff...
  • The World Series is over. Praise Jebus. So much for my prediction of Texas winning. The San Francisco Giants won in five games, in one of the least exciting Series I can remember. It got off to a decent start in Game 1 -- the Rangers scored single runs in the first two innings, and the Giants tied it with two in the third -- but after that it was virtually all Giants. They routed the Rangers in the first two games. The series shifted to Texas and the Rangers managed their only win, but the Giants then took the final two games. Except for that first game, there were no lead changes in the entire series. Once a team scored, they were ahead the rest of the way. The only interesting thing about tonight's game is that it was scoreless until the 7th. But at least George W. Bush's team lost.
  • The Eagles had the week off. Just as well since the NFL is just bizarre. From week to week, you can't say for sure who's going to win a game, and the off-field stuff is mind-boggling. Just today, adding to the continuing Brett Favre drama in Minnesota is the Randy Moss drama -- the Vikings announced they would release Moss less than a month after giving up a 3rd-round draft pick to get him from New England, to the apparent consternation of the team's owner, who wanted Moss back.

    And remember all the drama over Donovan McNabb's being traded by the Eagles to Washington? Well, on Sunday, near the end of the game he was benched in favor of Rex Grossman with the Redskins trailing Detroit by 6. Rex freakin' Grossman! After the game Washington coach Mike Shanahan said that he benched McNabb because he felt Grossman was more comfortable running the two-minute offense. Today he said it was because...well, here's the quote: "The cardiovascular endurance that it takes to run a two-minute, going all the way down with no timeouts, calling plays, it's just not easy." So McNabb has gone from being a hero, the guy who would lead the Redskins back to glory, to a guy whose coach thinks he's not smart enough and/or out of shape! Wow.
  • I watched some of the Flyers game tonight. I didn't turn it on until the second period and then I was switching back and forth between the hockey game, Monday Night Football and the World Series. Maybe soon I'll watch a full game and pay attention to it. The good news is they're in first place in their division with a 7-4-1 record. This is even though they lost 3 games in a row at home in which they played a team that had a game the night before in another city and had to travel to Philadelphia, while the Flyers were off -- really lame.
  • So...it was 60 degrees in my bedroom when I got up today. The temperature dropped below 40 overnight and it's supposed to go down to around 33 tonight. Needless to say, I turned on the heat tonight. Winter's coming back, dammit.
  • And I ordered my new eyeglasses today. I was going to do it on Friday but there was an issue with my insurance. I thought I wouldn't have to pay for them because it would be paid for through the same "Health Fund" (sort of like those flex savings accounts for medical purposes) that's part of my plan with Aetna -- the same one which is used for my co-pays for doctor's visits and prescriptions and such. I clearly remembered a letter from Aetna saying this when the change was made to allow the money in the fund to pay for glasses.The woman at the shop didn't know what I was talking about. As it turns out, the fund does pay for glasses, as I was notified. However, because it's not actually something that's covered by my medical plan -- in other words, technically I'm paying for anything that's deducted from the Health Fund, not Aetna -- most providers will not bill Aetna for it. So I have to pay for them myself, and file a claim for reimbursement. This is just another stupid thing about the health care system. Everything is expensive and/or complicated. I'm quite sure that if I don't submit everything exactly so, they won't reimburse me. And health care reform is bad, the morons say.
  • Speaking of which, be sure to vote tomorrow, America. And don't vote for the idiots who want to "take our country back" or crap like that.

No comments: