If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Personal Ad Finally Pays Off!

I have only placed personal ads sporadically -- none in recent years -- and they have never been successful. My ads tended to attract people who either didn't read my ad or ignored what I wrote. For example, I made my interest in sports quite plain, and the guy answering my ad says "I hate sports" and any other interests don't remotely come close to matching mine. Or, I'd clearly state "this is not a sex ad/not looking to hook up" and the replies were on the order of "Want to hook up tonight" or describing his sexual interests/body parts.

I'd given up on personals, obviously. However, today, at long last, something good has come from one of my ads...

Recently there was a class action lawsuit against Yahoo! Personals and because I had used that service a while back, I was included as an Authorized Claimant. I'm not sure what the lawsuit was about, I'm not sure if I ever even paid for their premium services (as with many sites, there's only so much you can do for free -- if you want some of the advanced features, you have to pay), but they sent me a letter saying I could be included in the suit.

Today a check for $35.00 arrived in the mail. Yay! And to those of you who read the title of this post and thought "OMG!!! Joe finally has a boyfriend!!!!" and then excitedly read all the way to this point, I'd just like to say, in my best Nelson Muntz voice: Ha ha! (Wait, why am I laughing at you about the fact that I have no boyfriend?)

No comments: