If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Crazy Dream Of The Day

Now and then the dreams I have are so strange and/or vivid that they stay in my head long after I wake up. I've had dreams involving superheroes (duh -- comic books), I had one that ended with my mom pulling out a gun and taking a shot at me as I was going out the door of the house (she missed!), and one that featured sexual activity involving someone I know (well, I haven't seen him in years so maybe that should be "knew") that I will not discuss here. (Yet.) One such dream occurred this morning, as part of my fitful TWO HOURS' sleep (slept in late and very solidly yesterday morning, and that kept me up most of last night). Read all about it after the jump...


It started out with me walking outdoors on a bright, sunny day. I was on some kind of trail, and I seemed to be either following a map or actually creating the route as I went along. I arrived at an entrance to a cave which seemed to be at the top of a hill. I went inside the entrance. Everything went dark, and suddenly I found myself in a house (which I didn't recognize) at the top of a staircase.

I walked down the stairs into a living room. It was early morning, somewhere around dawn, because it wasn't really dark but it wasn't light either. The TV was on, tuned to what sounded like the news. A cat was lying on the floor. (It could have been one of the cats I used to live with, after I took them in when my ex moved away. I didn't call the cat by name, so I'm not sure.) I sat down on a chair or sofa and started to talk to the cat, who meowed in response every time -- but the replies sounded like words...

Me: "Come up here, kitty! Do you want to sit on my lap?"
Cat: "Not now."
Me: "Not now?"
Cat: "Soon."
Me: "Soon?" (Scintillating conversation, eh? Then it got weirder...)
Cat: "Grandpop's dead."
Me: "Grandpop's dead!?!"
Cat: "Over there."

I turned to my right and saw an entrance to what looked like, in the semi-darkness, a kitchen. There was an old man, who looked like my grandfather on my mother's side (but he died in 1976 so I could be wrong), sprawled on the floor, unconscious, face down. I think there was a coffee mug next to him. I yelled. "AAAAAH!!! MOM!!!!! GRANDPOP'S DEAD!!!!" Then "grandpop" raised his head and said, "What's going on?" Instantly my mom was by his side. It was like she was the Flash or something, it was that quick.

Suddenly, I was in the kitchen of the house where I grew up, with both my mom and my dad at the kitchen table. I don't think I've ever had a dream with him in it before. And we're all in pajamas. I asked my mom, "So what happened to Grandpop? Is he okay?" My dad said, "I told you about this." Then there was a little more talk back and forth, and I woke up.

The alarm had another half-hour until it was set to go off, but it didn't matter because I didn't fall asleep again. Okay, amateur dream analysts, go to it!

No comments: