If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Friday, October 2, 2009

David Letterman's been a bad boy


A CBS employee has been arrested in connection with an extortion attempt against David Letterman. Letterman told his audience tonight (well, last night, I guess, since it's after midnight), that this person demanded two million dollars in exchange for keeping silent about sexual relationships he had with women who work on his show.

Letterman said he called his lawyer to set up a meeting with the man, who threatened to write a screenplay and a book about Letterman unless he was given money. There were two subsequent meetings with the man, the last one resulting in the check being delivered.

He told the audience that he had to testify before a grand jury on Thursday.

"I was worried for myself, I was worried for my family," he said. "I felt menaced by this, and I had to tell them all of the creepy things that I had done."

"The creepy stuff was that I have had sex with women who work for me on this show," he said. "My response to that is yes, I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Yes, it would, especially for the women."

I was thinking of making the title of this post "David Letterman is a slut" because when women are involved in scandals like this they're generally referred to that way, while men don't get the same treatment. It's not clear, though, how many women are involved or when these affairs happened. He's been with his wife since 1986, although they didn't marry until this past March. They had a son in 2003. Has this relationship been constant, or were there periods that they weren't together? Did he get involved with these employees during breaks in the relationship or did he just cheat?

Something that's weird is that he was targeted before, when a house painter who worked on his ranch in Montana was caught in a plot to kidnap Letterman's son and a nanny and hold them for ransom. Why can't this stuff happen to Jimmy Fallon?

No comments: