If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

World Series: Good vs. Evil


It's the Big Apple against the Big Scrapple. ;-) The Phillies are hours away from beginning the 2009 World Series against the New York Yankees, also known as the Evil Empire. I've written a preview for Outsports.com's blog, which you can find here.

I'm looking at the outcome as I looked at the previous two playoff series. I can very easily see the Yankees winning the World Series, just as I wouldn't have been too surprised if the Rockies took the Division Series or the Dodgers had won the League Championship Series. However, the way the Phillies have bounced back from seemingly dire circumstances -- starting with the 7-game deficit with 17 left in 2007, up through the Rockies' and Dodgers' closers blowing saves this year while Brad Lidge (so brilliant in 2008, such a mess in 2009) hasn't allowed a postseason run yet -- this determination, focus, fearlessness, whatever you want to call it has astounded me. Seeing them fall short every year from 2001-2006, I didn't think they had it in them. Now they do. So, as in the NLDS and the NLCS, I'm going to give the defending world champions the benefit of the doubt. Phillies in 6.

GO PHILLIES!! SPANK THE YANKS!!!

No comments: