If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Quick Review: Zombieland

So, Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera: if they ever appeared in the same movie, would that cause a rift in the space-time continuum? Are they not the same person? Skinny, pale, sensitive, etc.? In "Zombieland" Eisenberg plays a college student in Austin, Texas who has managed to survive the collapse of society (caused by an outbreak that led to most people turning into zombies). He's trying to get to Columbus, Ohio to find his parents and meets up with Woody Harrelson, who's on his way to Tallahassee, Florida. Harrelson's character insists that no real names be used, so they refer to each other by their destinations.

Columbus and Tallahassee run into two girls, Wichita (Emma Stone) and Little Rock (Abigail Breslin), at a grocery store. After various plot twists, they're on their way to an amusement park in California because the girls heard there are no zombies there. There's lots of zombie violence and some good lines; Columbus narrates throughout, highlighting his list of rules for surviving in Zombieland (number 1, for obvious reasons: cardio!). On the way to the amusement park they hit Hollywood, and decide to sleep at the home of a major star. This segment, featuring a cameo by said star, is easily the best part of the movie. I will not spoil it by revealing the star's name, but the whole thing is utterly brilliant. My grade: B-plus.

Reminder: there's a link on the home page that leads to a list of my grades for every movie I've seen in 2009.

2 comments:

FeverDog said...

The huzbear and I went opening night (Franklin Mills). It was fun but it didn't really have a plot or story. Basically they make their way to the amusement park and...that's it?

I do loves me some Woody Harrelson, though (what a manly man). I dunno, at the very least the movie seems to have a high re-watch factor (like Shaun of the Dead; I loves me some Simon Pegg - he's so adorable!). . .

You should check out Paranormal Activity. Huz and I caught it the Saturday night at The Bridge when it was midnight only. OMG, the final scene, EVERYONE shrieked! Too bad the money shot is glimpsed in the commercial - nobody in the theater when we saw it had any idea that was coming. I hadn't jumped that much since The Descent (that shot with the video camera). Awesome Blair Witch 2.0.


[This post has been brought to you by the verification "suation".]

Joe in Philly said...

I'm not sure I want to see Paranormal Activity. I tried watching Blair Witch on cable and couldn't sit through it for more than a half-hour or so. And the hype is reminding me too much of Cloverleaf.