If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, October 24, 2011

Working At Working

Just want to vent a little.

One week and one day into my new job, and I kind of miss being out of work. While I admit I wasted plenty of time during the day, now it seems like I have little time. Working a full day, with a commute of 1 1/4 hours each way -- which is actually a little worse than the commute I used to have -- is wearing on me. Between checking the websites I regularly visit, plus Facebook and Twitter, and this little blog, plus those TV shows I watch regularly*, and keeping up with reading Entertainment Weekly and some other stuff, it feels like I have no time to just relax.

So I'm staying up as late as I can to try and squeeze it all in, which means I tend to get less sleep than I'd like. And I haven't been to a movie in this span. I was hoping to try and see something this past weekend but slept in both days. If I go to a movie it'll have to be at night or on the weekends. I thought that I'd be able to handle this particular schedule. It's a seasonal job, generally running from September through March each year. It can be extended a little bit, but essentially I'd have the whole summer off. But I'm already feeling worn down a little.

I'm wondering if I might be better off with a year-round part-time job, maybe three days per week. The problem is, even if I start applying for such jobs, I can't take any days off to go to a job interview. So I'm sort of stuck. I'm not at the point where I'd just quit this job. Obviously, I can't afford it financially. But I need to find a way to make some more time.

*There are also one or two new shows I've considered watching, but haven't started to yet. Now multiple episodes have aired and I'm behind in them, and there's just no way I can catch up now, even if the episodes are still available through On Demand.

No comments: