If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Crystal Pepsi

So I'm on Twitter and one of the people I follow, Jaison96, has retweeted a post from Wired, linking to this eBay listing. You can buy a 16-ounce bottle of Diet Crystal Pepsi for $15.99. I vaguely remember Crystal Pepsi, the clear cola that failed miserably in the marketplace in the early 90s. I think I tried it a time or two. Was it supposed to taste like regular Pepsi but without the coloring? Or was it supposed to be like Sprite or 7Up? Anyway, in this eBay listing here's my favorite selling point, presented unedited and without any corrections for punctuation (obviously):

ALSO THIS IS VERY RARE BECAUSE THIS IS MADE WITH NUTRA SWEET DIET PEPSI IS NO LONGER MADE WITH NUTRA SWEET IT USES ASPARTAME....

If I cared, I might tell this seller that Nutrasweet is the trademarked brand name for aspartame. They're one and the same.

It does bring up another thought, though. On a couple of occasions recently Pepsi has temporarily released "Pepsi Throwback," made with natural sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup (in use since 1984, according to Wikipedia) -- so why don't they come out with Diet Pepsi Throwback, with saccharin?

No comments: