If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Chronicles Of Birthday: The Glee, The Flyers And The Phillies

As Fox was kind enough to air the special "The Power of Madonna" episode of "Glee" on my birthday, I decided to a) watch it and b) drink. I watched the show at Tabu Lounge and Sports Bar, a new hotspot in the Gayborhood (but one where everyone is welcome), in their lounge on their second-floor, while missing the end of the Phillies and Flyers games (which were playing on the TVs on the first floor). At the time I went upstairs for the show, the Phillies had just scored a run in the 5th to take a 2-0 lead over Atlanta, and the Flyers were trailing the New Jersey Devils 1-0 in Game 4 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

So how did things turn out?

"Glee" was fabulous. It was a love letter to Madonna, at times so much as to make me wonder if she had script approval. Besides the musical numbers, the rest of the show was enjoyable as well. However, I find myself wondering if I am truly finally getting into the spirit of "Glee" or if I was swayed by the Madonna influence and/or the alcohol.
Fox is repeating the episode on Friday at 9 pm ET, so I may watch it again and see how I feel. For now, though, I have tentatively set my DVR to record the next new episode.

Meanwhile, the Flyers were pretty fabulous in their own right, coming back strong to beat the Devils 4-1 and take a surprising and commanding 3-1 series lead. However, bad news came today with the word that both Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne will have right foot surgery and miss the rest of the series and more (Gagne could return in 3 weeks and Carter in 6, should the Flyers manage to still be playing that long into the future).

And then we have the Phillies. They had lost two in a row prior to Tuesday, with the only bright spot being a fine start by Cole Hamels on Sunday. With soreness causing J.A. Happ's turn in the rotation to be skipped (and maybe resulting in his being put on the disabled list) the Phils had to send Kyle Kendrick to the mound again despite his two hideous starts. Kendrick woke up and pitched 8 shutout innings, leaving with a 3-0 lead, only to see Ryan Madson give up 3 runs on 2 homers in the 9th and Jose Contreras lose the game by giving up a 10th-inning long ball.

Then Superman showed up tonight, in the person of Roy Halladay, pitching a complete game shutout for his 4th win of the young season. Again I repeat, a la Madonna: Halladay. Celebrate.

No comments: