If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The National Lottery Is Coming

The best things in life are free
But you can give them to the birds and bees

I need money (that's what I want) 
That's what I want (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want)
That's what I want


That's the opening to the first hit from Motown Records, Barrett Strong's "Money (That's What I Want)," a song that's very much an appropriate musical accompaniment to this post.

I just read that New Jersey and some other states are going to begin selling Powerball tickets on Sunday. These are states that have been Mega Millions states, and now they're adding Powerball. Pennsylvania, a Powerball state, has announced plans to start selling Mega Millions tickets. Back in October, Powerball and Mega Millions reached an agreement to allow stores to sell tickets for both games. More and more, states that are desperate to find added revenue are signing up for both of the huge multi-million jackpot lotteries.

So it just makes sense that eventually Powerball and Mega Millions will merge completely and we'll have one big national super-lottery. I'm guessing it will become MegaPowerball; the jackpots will start with a minimum of $30 million (currently Powerball starts at $20 mil and Mega Millions begins with $12 mil) and each time no one hits the jackpot will skyrocket. Start saving your pennies now, because this is going to happen.

2 comments:

http://www.ehow.com/members/stevemar2-articles.html said...

Powerball is just another reason for New Jerseyans to waste money. With so many lottery options now, I think more people in the state will become addicted to gambling.

Joe in Philly said...

Some more people may become addicted, but I think it's a greater possibility that people who already like to play the lottery will spend more -- buying both Powerball and Mega Millions, since now they won't have to travel out of state to do so.