If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, January 18, 2010

I Am So Smart! I Am So Smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean...


Here's an update on the volunteer tax preparer work I signed up for. On Thursday I attended the Intro to Tax Laws training. It took almost 3 hours. We were given three books, including a reference manual with lots of charts and tables, with info on both the tax regulations and the computer program I'll be using, as well as the certification test book. In the Basic test (there are different certification levels -- starting with Basic, which was for us first-timers) there were 8 scenarios. We had to analyze the information given for each and answer questions about their tax status, exemptions, deductions, etc. We were told on Thursday to do the first 5 scenarios at home and bring it in for the second training session (on the computer program) and the certification test, which was in a 6-hour time period (including a lunch break).

I had scheduled my second class for January 23rd but decided to reschedule it to yesterday and get it out of the way. So on Friday I went through the first five scenarios and answered the questions. As I did it I really felt insecure. I wasn't sure if I was picking up the information I needed and using the charts and reference tools properly. And, of course, I didn't have the answer sheet. The way the class was conducted on Thursday I felt it was a little too rushed, considering how complicated tax returns can be.

Yesterday, I went in for the computer training and the certification test. Again, it felt a little rushed. When we began taking the test I went through the final three scenarios and again felt rather insecure, especially when some people had completed the test and left. I had visions of failing the test and walking out, never to return, having wasted my time. Finally, shortly after 3 p.m. and with the classroom about half-empty, I finished the last of the 30 questions on the test and handed it to the instructor to review. He did so, and then returned the sheet to me.

Out of the 30 questions, I got all 30 correct. I let out a big laugh.

I shouldn't be surprised -- I know my brain works reasonably well and I've always said that I can do anything given the proper training. I certainly did this type of thing all the time when I worked for Social Security. But I couldn't help myself. And it has been a few years since I've been in any kind of training. I guess what it means is that when I start doing tax returns for people, even if I don't feel like I know everything, at least I know where to look it up. And if people with more complex tax issues show up, we can pass them along to higher-level volunteers.

So I'm certified at the Basic level. We had a graduation ceremony with cap and gown, as you can see from the photo above. Don't I look good for my age?

Next, I learn exactly where I'll be assigned (I requested either their site in northeast Philly, not too far from my house, or a downtown site). The sites open on January 25th. In the meantime, one of the books I was given is a book with practice cases, so if I want I can go to the website with the "Practice Lab" for the computer software and do some additional work on my own.

And if you don't know where the title of this post comes from, first hang your head in shame. ;-) Then watch this:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watch out H&R Block--the Joe in Philly tax service is up and running!