If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, August 10, 2009

Things I learned on Saturday in NYC

1) There's a copy of the LOVE sculpture by Robert Indiana at 55th and 6th Avenue. People were climbing on -- and into -- it, between the V and E -- to get their pictures taken. I think that sucks. (Actually, there are copies in a lot of places. That definitely sucks. There should only be one, and it should only be here.)

2) After waiting in the TKTS line in Times Square for a half-price ticket to the matinee performance of "9 to 5: The Musical," I went to Union Square. There was a farmers' market, with vendors selling all sorts of produce and healthy foods and organic foods and so on. Alas, I did not partake of a healthy treat. When I saw that nearby University Place was closed to traffic with street vendors lined up and down selling all manner of trinkets, I went there -- and discovered one of the most delicious items I've ever tasted: Deep Fried Oreos. I'd never heard of this particular gourmet delicacy before, but then I haven't spent much time at fairs or carnivals recently. You dip the Oreos in batter and drop them in the fryer for a bit, then add the powdered sugar. The crunchy cookie turns soft, almost like cake. Food of the gods, I tell you!

3) I'm not sure how good an idea it was to turn the movie "9 to 5" into a musical. Perhaps it was because I started to tire after having trouble sleeping for two nights in a row, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. Some of the musical numbers were just average, and if I remember the movie correctly, they made one or two minor changes in the plot that didn't quite sit well with me. It wasn't a bad show, the performers were quite entertaining, but it just all didn't mesh together in a spectacular way. It's closing in September, so unless you want to wait for the national tour, see it now if you're so inclined. (Also, there's an actor named Charlie Pollock who has a small role as the husband of Doralee, the character played by Dolly Parton in the movie. If anyone has a shirtless picture of him, please post it. Yum.)

4) While I was walking along University Place (although I only learned of this later, on one of the electronic boards that scroll headlines) a small plane and a tour helicopter collided over the Hudson River. Both aircraft crashed into the river, killing 9 people. It was the deadliest air crash in New York since November 12, 2001. That morning, 265 people died when an American Airlines flight crashed in Queens shortly after takeoff from JFK Airport -- and I was in New York that day as well. I was up there for the weekend and saw the TV coverage after I woke up to check out of my hotel. It's an eerie coincidence. If it happens one more time while I'm there, I may have to ban myself from the city.

4 comments:

Martha Thomases said...

But what about your fabulous dinner?

Joe in Philly said...

Well, I already knew that the food would be wonderful and that you, John and Frank would be delightful company, so technically I didn't learn that.

Anonymous said...

Re #1. The artists collective General Idea produced posters and sculptures that said AIDS in a similar look to Indiana's LOVE. The sculpture was displayed in Toronto during the International AIDS Conference in 2006.

http://www.aabronson.com/art/gi.org/works/89imagevirus1.htm

http://torontoist.com/2006/08/aids_sculpture.php

Joe in Philly said...

Interesting that they allow the comments on the sculpture itself. I think more such interactive art would be useful.