If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Are employers lying to me?

Short story: A while back I saw a job listing on Craigslist and sent a resume. I was called a day or two later and was asked to go in for an interview. I thought it went quite well (as I always do). I didn't get the job (as usual). I was told that they'd hold onto my resume because there may be additional openings depending on their budget (this has happened a time or two).

Cut to very recently, when I was looking through Craigslist again and saw another ad from the very same company for the very same job. We're talking no more than three months going by.

Is there any reason to believe that this company (let's just call them Liar & Liar) actually did hold my resume? I assume they didn't. They told me that to be polite or whatever. I'd prefer some honesty -- tell me they want someone with a college degree, or someone who hasn't been out of work recently, or that I actually didn't do well in the interview (despite the flattering comments made during the interview), or something.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to bother applying for anything. It seems to me I'm not going to be hired unless there's some freak occurrence or unless someone I know calls out of the blue and says "we have a job for you, you start Monday." So why waste my time?

No comments: