If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Mobile Panhandler

The other day I was leaving Franklin Mills Mall and decided to stop at Wendy's for lunch. As I'm headed towards the door I hear a voice from behind me. "Excuse me, can you buy me something to eat?" I turn around and the man asking me to buy him something...is sitting on a bicycle.

My first thought was: if you have a bike but don't have money for food, might I suggest you sell the bike and get some cash? Now that I think of it, though, he should keep the bike. That way he can go from restaurant to restaurant and get some variety in his diet -- at least as long as people buy him food in more than one location.

It reminded me of the panhandler I encountered back in June on the Market-Frankford line (for you non-locals, we call it "The El") on my way to a ballgame. He was walking car-to-car asking for change. When he got to me I told him "no, sorry" and turned away. He stood there waiting, then mumbled something, and as I continued sitting there him he called me ignorant. I said, "What? I told you I don't have any change. Sorry." "No you're not." Then he said something else like "I could just stand here" as he kept standing in the aisle by me. I told him "I could call the cops" and he said if he had a phone he would hand it to me to call them. What finally got him to leave me alone was my reply: "If you had a phone you wouldn't need to ask for change, would you?"

No comments: