If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Week In Comics 5-19-10

I was pleased with myself that I left a couple of books on the shelves at the store. I want to try and stick to buying the ones I find most essential. So this week that meant I picked up three -- one of which, based on recent issues, was one I was considering no longer buying...

Superman/Batman 72: ...I ended up buying this one anyway and it might have been a mistake. I'm not sure exactly when this is supposed to have taken place in the ol' continuity timeline -- it's after the events of the "Identity Crisis" miniseries, yet it seems to depict Lex Luthor as CEO of Lexcorp, whereas by the time of "Identity Crisis" Luthor had become President and then was removed from both the presidency and Lexcorp and has been either on the run or imprisoned ever since. And either there's an error in the artwork or else Lois Lane may have been sexually assaulted after being kidnapped -- on the last page we see her tied up and she's got just a bra on under her jacket, where earlier she was wearing a blouse.

Superman: War of the Supermen 3 (of 4): This, of course, is extremely essential. The breakneck pace of this 100-minute war continues, both in space and in various battlegrounds on Earth, and one hero sacrifices everything to save lives. I love this not only because so much is happening but because the books are coming out weekly, so it seems like things are happening even more quickly.

Simpsons Comics 166: What was weird about this rather dull story, in which Homer enters the Tour De Springfield bike race to win the cash prize -- by cheating, with the help of Bart and Grampa -- is that not once are any other Simpson family members so much as glimpsed in the entire story. But there is an ad for an upcoming 5-issue miniseries starring none other than...Comic Book Guy!

No comments: