If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

American Idol Likes/Dislikes

The overstuffed American Idol Season 9 finale took place tonight. I used my magical DVR to record and watch it. Some things I liked, some I didn't...

Like: The fact that I used the DVR instead of watching it live. It made it easy to fast-forward through much of what I dislike.
Dislike: Nearly all of the performances featuring this year's mediocre finalists. Since I forwarded through them, I have no idea what they sounded like. I'm just against them in principle. And the guest performers with them: Alice Cooper with all the finalists (looking ridiculous in school uniforms to sing "School's Out"); Aaron and Siobhan with the two surviving Bee Gees; Lee and Chicago; Michael Lynche and Michael McDonald; the male finalists with Daryl Hall and John Oates; Crystal and Lee with Joe Cocker...I love H&O but where did they dig up these ancient performers -- and more importantly, why?

Like: The Casey pairing with Bret Michaels. Not because I really listened to it, but wasn't Bret Michaels near death not long ago? Pretty amazing.
And Janet Jackson debuting a new song and singing "Nasty" -- not because she sang very well (think some pre-recording happened with the new tune, at least), but I just like her. I would not be displeased to have Miss Jackson make a comeback. I hope she records an album I actually want to buy this time.
Dislike: When Crystal teamed with Alanis Morissette for "You Oughta Know," the lyric "Would she go down on you in the theater" was changed to "Would she go down with you to the theater" -- awful! Maybe understandable from a prude's point of view, but hasn't this song been around so long now that everyone knows that lyric?

Like: As part of the nightlong tributes to the outgoing Simon Cowell, there was a funny bit with Ricky Gervais and Paula Abdul made an appearance. It just pointed out how much the show missed Paula, and how much it will really miss Simon. Seriously, Idol, just shut down. Don't come back next year. You've jumped the shark.
Dislike: Dane Cook "singing" a song using some of Simon's infamous put-downs, until he was joined on stage by some of the freak contestants of recent years. One grabbed the microphone from Cook, another then grabbed it from the first guy, and then they cut to commercial abruptly. Was it all staged? I assume it was, but if it wasn't then it was funny. Plus it stopped Dane Cook from "singing."
Double Dislike: That "Pants on the Ground" guy was back, and this time he had help from...William Hung!?!?!

Neither like nor dislike: Christina Aguilera with the female finalists (again, fast forward was my friend); also, at the end of the tribute to Simon there was a mega-group performance featuring this year's finalists plus a bunch from other years, including all of the past Idol winners -- except David Cook. Wonder why? He's been back on the show a few times since he won. But hey, at least they were able to squeeze in Justin Guarini.

As for the winner this year...since I had such a low opinion of the whole crew this season, it matters not to me that Lee won over Crystal, except I get the impression that more observers are upset that Crystal lost. Perhaps not as upset as this crew, though. (Sorry, it can't be embedded.) Lee is just boring to me, although he's kind of cute, and Crystal doesn't seem like she's much more than a street performer. I can't imagine either one selling me their CD.

No comments: