If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why Am I Not "Glee"-ful?


I've talked about how there needs to be a hook to get me to try out a new TV show, or one I haven't seen before. In the case of the Fox show "Glee," other than the hype and glowing recommendations (from paid media critics and ordinary folks alike), I didn't really feel any hook. I didn't watch the premiere when it aired in May. After a while, though, I watched it online.

I wasn't overwhelmed. It wasn't like it was a bad show. I've come to like Jane Lynch (the cheerleaders' head coach) from recent roles in movies such as "Role Models," and Matthew Morrison (as the glee club's director) is quite adorable. (Here's a recent interview from AfterElton.com.) The singing performances are interesting. But the whole concept just didn't pull me in.

Still, I watched the second episode last night, hoping that I'd see what everyone was raving about, hoping that something would click.

It didn't.

There's a lot that you would think I'd like about it, but I can't seem to connect with any of it enough to want to watch it again. Maybe if the high school was more remotely like what little I remember from my high school experience, or maybe if I had been in a glee club, or something. I can't figure it out.

It just feels like one of these cult shows that will air for a while and, depending on Fox's patience (they've killed off shows after one airing, and even before it got on the air in at least one case), then be canceled. Then there will be blurbs about groups of fans trying to save the show via online petitions or stunts. CBS got a bunch of nuts sent to their headquarters by "Jericho" fans, and decided that the show, having been canceled after one season due to low ratings, should have a second chance. Season 2's ratings were even lower.

So should I keep trying to watch it, or stop wasting my time?

No comments: