If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

NOT The Grammy People

My friend Kurt recently moved to South Philly, Home of the Cheesesteak Wars (both Pat's and Geno's are at the intersection of 9th St. and Passyunk Ave.). I was at his place the other day, and after I left I was walking along Reed St. to 9th to catch a bus into Center City. I found an odd sight. Between 8th and 9th on Reed is a small cross-street, Darien St. It's not much more than an alley, and is actually a dead end. At left is a picture, taken while I was on Reed St.

Notice how there's a building at the very end with a sign over the door. You can't make it out in the picture, but at the end of this nondescript street is the Pennsylvania Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

I immediately thought of the Grammy awards, handed out by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Obviously this was a local chapter, but why would they be in such an off-the-beaten-path location?

Turns out I was wrong. The Philadelphia chapter of NARAS is in Center City. This Pennsylvania Academy is a school. They have an outlet in Gettysburg as well. Their name seems juuuuust a bit misleading, don't you think?

No comments: