If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Voice -- Over

I tried, I tried, I really tried. But it's over. I've removed "The Voice" from my DVR series recordings. I liked it at first -- the drama of whether one of the celebrity coaches would turn the chair around as a contestant sang was fun -- but it's just boring now. I tried watching the first live show (well, it was live last night; I recorded it and only got around to watching a little while ago).

From about the 30-minute mark on I fast-forwarded through most of it, and only stopped near the end because I had somehow learned (via commercial or maybe a story I read) that Frenchie Davis was covering "When Love Takes Over," my favorite song of summer 2009. And by the way, she wasn't that great. Nor were one or two others that I heard. They weren't awful, but they weren't incredible.

Yet every comment from the coaches (at least those I heard -- as I said, I did a lot of fast-fowarding) were on the order of "you're amazing, I love you" and so on. Christina Aguilera -- I just find her really annoying now, especially after she chose a song by that horrible Ke-dollar sign-ha for one of her girls to sing.

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to watch one of these singing shows I need Simon Cowell or someone like him, and "The Voice" just doesn't have it. So with Simon and Paula Abdul both on "The X Factor" it's obvious I'll be giving that show a try in the fall.

I'll say this, though -- we need to get Patrick Thomas (pictured) out of his clothes right away...

No comments: