If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mr. Ignorant (Note: some NSFW language)

I had a little run-in on the subway today.

After softball practice I made my way to the Temple campus and hung out for a while with my friend Kurt and a friend of his. After we parted ways, I took the subway back into Center City to make my way home. It was a bit crowded, being a Saturday afternoon and with some people beginning to make their way to the 4 p.m. Phillies game, so I didn't get a seat. I was standing near the door, then moved away from it a bit when we got to the next station and more people were about to get on. Suddenly I felt my backpack being shoved into me. I turned around and the angry black man standing there began yelling. The conversation, such as it was, went like this:

"MOVE YOUR FUCKING BACKPACK."
"Oh, sorry -- "
"I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU, JUST MOVE YOUR BACKPACK."
"Did it brush into you?"
"YEAH. MOVE YOUR FUCKING BACKPACK"
"I'm sor--"
"I DON'T WANT TO TALK, JUST MOVE YOUR FUCKING BACKPACK."

At that point I just moved away. I wanted to tell him he needed to learn to accept an apology but I knew if I said anything more, the situation would escalate.

First of all, if my backpack brushed against him I didn't feel it. Normally, the backpack is up against my back and if it bumps into something I feel it. I felt nothing until he shoved it.

Secondly, this is why racism will continue to exist in this country for a long, long time. This asshole was so rude and ignorant that if it had been someone else instead of me, either there would have been a fight and a bunch of n-words dropped, or even if that didn't happen, the other person would have basically confirmed to himself all of his bigoted views. Sure, we've made plenty of progress, but as long as people act like this, those who are prejudiced will not change their minds.

While I do sort of believe in good karma -- if you're a good person and are good to others, I like to think you'll get good karma back from the universe -- I have no problem wishing ill of nasty, hateful trolls. So this is my message for Mr. Ignorant from the subway: you are a fucking miserable, rude, obnoxious, ignorant and possibly racist piece of garbage. You're scum. You're a waste of DNA. If you die tomorrow, the world will be a better place.

Oh, and for fuck's sake, before you die, PULL UP YOUR PANTS! YOU'RE NOT A TEENAGER AND NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOUR DULL GRAY UNDERWEAR!

No comments: