If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How Krispy Kreme Made Me Feel Like A Kid Again

(Update with tweet from Krispy Kreme below)

I know I promised this yesterday but didn't get to it. So now I need to get it done before the Phillies-Marlins game (with Roy Halladay and Josh Johnson in a rematch of their two battles from last year, one of which resulted in Halladay's perfect game). Plus "Glee" is on, and I'm also watching "The Voice." I'll have to write about that. Plus some other stuff, at some point. Anyway, let's get to this...

A new Krispy Kreme opened up in Center City last week. We've had Krispy Kreme locations in the past, but never downtown as far as I know. And the most recent ones (one was at the Roosevelt Mall) closed some time ago. Now they're back, and the line was well out the door when I walked by last week. As it happens I was in town yesterday, and on my way back to the 15th Street El station (the Market-Frankford, or Blue Line, for you out-of-towners) I walked by the new Krispy Kreme. The line was short. I went in.

Now, I do have to confess to some confusion. Everyone seems to make a fuss about going in when the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign is turned on. It was on yesterday. I didn't get hot doughnuts, though. I'm not sure -- do you have to specifically ask for hot doughnuts? I didn't notice anything explaining this; nor did I see a separate line for them. I just got in the line to the counter where all the different varieties were on the shelves. I got two chocolate iced glazed doughnuts. They were fine. They were fresh. They weren't hot, though, so I don't know if I missed out on something.
There are many who rave about Krispy Kreme, that they're the best. But, unless I taste one that's actually warm, I can't actually say they're that much better than their competition. Perhaps I need to do a blind taste test.


The Krispy Kreme doughnuts also cost $1.09 each. Dunkin Donuts charges 89 cents. However -- and now we come to the point of all of this -- I picked up a pint of chocolate milk as well, got to the register and, well, check out my receipt...


...without knowing about it or asking for it, I got a kids' meal! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

 UPDATE: The local Krispy Kreme is following me on Twitter, and gave me the answer to the "hot" issue:

No comments: