If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wear Purple Wednesday - Phantoms Or Otherwise

I think this idea just developed organically -- I saw a number of different Facebook "events" posted for it, and I have one friend who is "attending" every single one. Tomorrow, as a way to remember the kids who were bullied to death by their "peers," their "adult" authority figures and dirtbag politicians of every stripe, and especially to show a visible sign of support for those kids who are still alive but going through bullying of their own, you're encouraged to wear purple. Purple in the Rainbow Flag symbolizes "spirit." So tomorrow is now "Spirit Day." GLAAD -- the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation -- has links on their website for you to make your Twitter and Facebook profile pictures purple.

I have one piece of purple clothing. I didn't think I had any, but I remembered that I went to Game 4 of the American Hockey League's Calder Cup finals in 2005, when the Philadelphia Phantoms won the Cup in a four-game sweep (which helped make up for the NHL's year-long absence due to their infamous lockout), and all fans were given t-shirts going into the arena. I feel like maybe I should wear it inside out because the hockey stuff on the front might dilute the message of the purple, but I probably won't. I hate that look. The tag belongs on the inside, not the outside, people.

So I'll be going for my comic books tomorrow and, beyond that, just walking around a lot, making sure my t-shirt is visible. Hopefully it's not too chilly. I'll have a long-sleeved tee-shirt under the Phantoms shirt. Maybe I'll take a jacket or zip-up hooded sweatshirt as well, but I'll keep it open -- after all, what good is the purple t-shirt if the purple isn't visible?

No comments: