If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Week In Comics 9-30-10

Three books here, and only one this coming week...unless I get the second printing of something recent that I somehow missed. (I'm being cryptic on purpose. Guess if you want, though.)

Action Comics 893: So I know, just from years of reading DC Comics, that there's a powerful, super-intelligent gorilla called Grodd. (Here, Grodd is the latest to encounter Lex Luthor, his Lois Lane android and his team of employees on their quest for a black power ring.) I don't recall buying many books that actually featured Grodd, so forgive me when I ask: why does Grodd use a combat spoon and when did he start eating brains? Anyway, even without Superman in his own book this is an entertaining ride. The book now also a second feature that stars Jimmy Olsen, with the goal of reinventing him a bit -- still getting into lots of adventures, but a lot more current than young and nerdy. It also introduces the character of Chloe Sullivan, created for TV's "Smallville," into the DC universe.

Gotham City Sirens 16: I complained about this series recently, but this issue is an improvement from recent ones, so I won't be dropping it just yet. This story arc guest-stars Zatanna (in Gotham because, believe it or not, Batman has technology that can detect magical activity) and Talia al Ghul (there because she learns of a threat against Catwoman).

Futurama Comics 51: They've already run all the new episodes on Comedy Central, at least for now, so once again the only new stories are in this book. As usual, wacky circumstances lead to something even more wacky -- in this case, Fry becoming the new royal chef of Omicron-Persei 8.

No comments: