If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Week In Comics 2-3-10

Thanks to Snowverkill I didn't go out to get my comics today. So let's reminisce about...

...okay, wait. If I had tried, I could have gone and gotten them. I was up early enough. By 11:30, before the second half of the storm hit, I could have left the house, taken the route 66 bus, transferred to the El and gotten to the one store I know was open (because I got an email saying so). I was worried that the buses would stop running and leave me stranded. The 66 was still going after many other routes were shut down, and didn't stop until the entire bus system stopped running -- at 5 pm. The El was running throughout. So while I would've gotten hit with snow, I could have gotten my books. So it wasn't just thanks to Snowverkill but also to my own failure to think things through.

Now where was I? Oh yeah, we were about to reminisce about last week's haul...

Milestone Forever 1 (of 2): I mentioned, in discussing the Teen Titans issue from last week, that the Milestone universe was merged into the DC universe continuity. This book is a two-parter that in part is supposed to be a wrap on storylines that were going on in the various Milestone series. Except there's no real beginning that explains what storylines are being wrapped up, and of the two series I was buying before the Milestone books ended, I can't remember where they left off anyway. That didn't entirely keep me from enjoying this but it didn't help either.

Superman: World of New Krypton 12 (of 12): This miniseries is over, and the mystery of who was behind the conspiracy leading to the attacks on General Zod and the Kryptonian council members is solved. Looking back, it probably could have been done more quickly. After all, the entire saga of New Krypton and its relationship with Earth is far from over. The end of this book is the beginning of the "Last Stand of New Krypton" arc and its own miniseries, and then into War of the Supermen -- which is going to last, according to DC Comics, a whole hour and forty minutes!

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman 3 (of 3): The conclusion of this miniseries features Diana as the newest Star Sapphire, another appearance by Black Lantern Maxwell Lord and another fight with Mera, who is now a Red Lantern and, thus, consumed by rage. Diana's use of her lasso and her new violet power ring leads to a revelation about Mera's past that, I'm assuming, will be explored in depth in the future. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that revelation is, exactly.

Red Robin 9: I hadn't bought the last few issues of this series but jumped back on because Tim is back in Gotham and in a much better state of mind. He defeats a Bat-villian, has a chat with his best friend (the one with a Super-dog), learns of a new threat from Ra's al Ghul and meets the new Batgirl (in whose series this arc crosses over). For now I think I'm back on the bandwagon.

No comments: