If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Quick review: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Having never read any of the Harry Potter books, I don't know everything that's left out of the films when they're made and, for the most part, I don't have any idea what's going to happen in the movies -- with one notable exception being an event that occurs near the end of the latest, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

The problem with this is, since I only see the movies once (rarely do I watch a movie on DVD or on TV broadcasts if I've seen it already), and the last HP movie came out two years ago, I couldn't remember much of anything from the last one, so I felt sort of lost. Between that and the fact that much of the film was spent on burgeoning romances of various kids, I wasn't nearly as enthralled as I have been in the past. It seemed like there was a lot more talking and a lot less action.

I will say that the three young stars of the Harry Potter movies, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson, are turning out to be pretty good young actors. I hope they can manage to keep their careers going post-Potter. I also hope that the last two movies (the final book is being made into two films instead of one) are more exciting than this one. My grade: C-plus.

No comments: