If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Quick review: Bruno

Oh. My. God. I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time. "Bruno" is extremely raunchy, and not for the faint-of-heart, but it's brilliant. Bruno, the extremely gay fashionista, comes to America to become a major celebrity, and tries different roads to that status, with little success. It's a hysterical commentary on celebrities and their charitable activities, stars adopting children from Africa, and (of course) homosexuality and homophobia. My only minor quibble is that I can't help but think that some of the interaction between Bruno and non-celebrities just had to have been planned out in advance. I assume that at least some of the Bruno-and-celebrities interactions were staged; certainly the stars appearing at the end of the film were in on the joke.

I worry about Sacha Baron Cohen, though. He's used up his three characters. He needs to create someone new or do some other kind of movies (not counting his supporting roles in other people's movies, of course; I'm referring to his own productions). My grade: A.

No comments: