If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Monday, June 29, 2009

What do nickels do to cassette tapes?

I was checking out Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch blog and found this item. The headline -- "Walkman more cumbersome than iPod, teen discovers" -- sounds like it came from The Onion, but it's not a satirical commentary. It links to an article from the BBC about a 13-year-old British boy who spent a week with an old Sony Walkman instead of his iPod and compared the two.

What I don't understand, though, is this one line from the EW.com post. It follows a quote from the BBC where the boy writes that he used the rewind button to create a makeshift shuffle and his dad warned him that his tape could get chewed up, leaving him with no music that day: "Worse than being musicless for the day, pal, is losing that tape forever. Also, don't store tapes near nickels. Man, the good old days."

Yeah, the good old days. I remember how thrilled I was when I bought my first Walkman. The pictured Walkman EW displays is similar to the one I bought. But, what's the deal with storing tapes near nickels? I never did that, but I still don't get it.

No comments: