If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tasteless Twittering by OchoCinco

For a few weeks now I've been posting a feature to the Outsports Jock Talk Blog called "Sports Tweet Of The Week." I became fascinated by athletes' use of Twitter after a pro basketball player actually updated his Twitter page at halftime of a game. As more athletes began making news with Tweets (the strange word for a Twitter post) I began my STOTW feature, using sites like AthleteTweets.com that keep track of sports celebrities and their Twitter usage.

A short while ago I checked out AthleteTweets to see what was going on, and I came across an update by Chad OchoCinco, a wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals. (He used to be Chad Johnson, but had his name legally changed to a word reflecting the Spanish names for the two numerals that comprise his uniform number, 85. There's a reason for it, but I can't really explain in full. I'm sure Wikipedia or other sites can help you with that. Suffice to say it has to do with ego and money.)

Anyway, his most recent Tweet mentioned being "sincere and apoligetic" (sic). So I went to his Twitter page. (Note: based on my looking at it yesterday as research for my next STOTW, and seeing a video he posted there, I am comfortable saying it's a legit page. Twitter's had problems with celebrity impostors and is instituting a verification system.) Here is what he's "apoligetic" about:
Okay, first Mrs. Fawcett now Mr. Jackson, please tell me that this is a mistaken rumor, if not this is just as sad as 9/11
Wow. Unbelievably stupid. His Twitter followers apparently took him to task, based on some of his next updates:
okay not as bad as 911, its sad period, both situations my goodness people, they just said he is okay in the hospital,

The 9/11 was a bit over the top, i am just in an emotional state right now, bare with me while i regroup people, be back in 10 minutes

@jahrasta311 Did you miss the part were i apoligized or you want to be an asshole just because you can be?

Sorry 85 million times, today sucks man, i still have my jacket with the zippers on it, wow
And it goes on. I have a screen capture of it...if you click on it you should see a readable version:

No comments: