If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Farrah Fawcett died too

It's not surprising that the news of Farrah Fawcett's death was quickly brushed aside in the wake of the passing of Michael Jackson. After all, he was a musical icon, a larger-than-life figure, a freak show in his later years, and his death was unexpected while her cancer had her at death's door. It's sad nonetheless.

While I can't say I was a huge fan of hers, she managed to move beyond the "jiggle TV" aspect of Charlie's Angels into more serious work such as the TV-movie The Burning Bed, and she fought valiantly against the cancer that eventually took her life, not to mention the tabloids that tried to exploit her condition.

I used to watch Charlie's Angels on TV a lot, especially that first season. I don't really know why. Looking back, I have three possible explanations:

1) I watched a lot of TV shows back then, especially ABC shows. ABC was cranking out the hits during the mid-1970s, so maybe I was just too lazy to change the channel.

2) Being part of a large family, I certainly couldn't just change the channel to whatever I might have wanted to watch if others were home and watching something else.

3) Maybe it was, to quote Patty Bouvier in The Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror III" Halloween episode, "the last lingering thread of my heterosexuality."

No comments: