If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Friday, July 6, 2012

Quick Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

In between the summer superhero behemoths -- "The Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises" -- comes "The Amazing Spider-Man." "The Avengers" turned out extremely well, and I have similar expectations for "Dark Knight." As for this Spider-Man film, my expectations weren't as high despite some of the hype. So I wasn't overly disappointed that I wasn't overly excited by it. It looks good, it's well-acted, but with it being a reboot of the franchise so soon after the previous three films (the first of which arrived in 2002) it felt like I had pretty much seen it before. Peter Parker's back in high school, with Andrew Garfield taking over for Tobey Maguire. They changed a few details, added some more, swapped out love interests and villains, but otherwise it's the same: Peter's bitten by the spider, gains powers, doesn't stop a bad guy, bad guy kills Uncle Ben, Peter becomes Spider-Man, fights villain... I will say that I liked it more than the first movie in the Maguire-as-Spidey trilogy, so if this new one's sequel improves similarly, the next one should be quite a film. My grade: B-minus.

No comments: