If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Sun Sets On Manhattan


I'm going to try and get caught up on posting my photo albums from my various trips. This slideshow has most of the photos from my trip to New York City at the end of July. (I posted pics from my visit to the 9/11 Memorial separately, you may recall.)


I arrived on Sunday afternoon and, after checking into my hotel (Comfort Inn on the Upper West Side -- I got a nice rate but it wasn't so great -- refer to the first picture in the slideshow) I went for a walk and discovered a street festival on Columbus Avenue. After I had a margarita and a huge burrito for dinner (not planned, but it started to rain and the place was right there) I took the subway to Brooklyn, and walked around the riverfront park, eventually arriving at the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Then I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan. Some of the pics I took during this time of the skyline are among my favorites of all the pictures I've ever taken.

Among my stops on Monday (after my time at the 9/11 Memorial): my first baseball game at the new Yankee Stadium (I'll have to add it to my stadium rankings) and a visit to the Museum of Modern Art -- which I honestly didn't enjoy as much as I would have liked. It was crowded, I didn't have as much time as I wanted, and what really annoyed me was that I had to check my backpack -- but I had to take my tablet out and carry it with me. I couldn't leave it in the bag! To say the least, I was a little cranky. But they had a special exhibition called "Century of the Child" which featured all kinds of exhibits about children from 1900-2000. Clothes, books, school supplies, toys, games, descriptions of schools, children's lives all over the world, political issues involving children...I'm really not doing it justice. Anyway, among the items from the latter part of the century was part of the set of "Pee-wee's Playhouse." If you ever get a chance to see Conky up close, do so. It's amazing how many bits and pieces from various machines, appliances, etc. went into building him.


On Tuesday I visited Coney Island. It's so weird to think you can take a subway and end up at a beach. I'd love to take the El or Broad Street Subway and end up in Wildwood. Anyway, the area looks like it's seen better days but it's still quite popular. A minor league baseball team plays there now. I'd like to see a game at that ballpark.


Tuesday night I got to my primary reason for this particular trip: the Broadway revival of "Evita." Ricky Martin (as Che) was excellent. However, the actress playing Eva Peron, Elena Roger, was up-and-down. To be honest, I think part of it was because English seems to be her second language. (She's a native of Argentina, and apparently the first Argentine to play the role.) It seemed to take the power out of some of her lines, both spoken and sung. I've seen the show at least three times at theaters in and around Philadelphia over the years. I never saw the original Broadway production but that show's cast recording is, for me, THE version. Some subtle changes (in this show as well as the Madonna movie) don't do a lot for me, but overall it was still enjoyable.

No comments: