If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Week In Comics 12-23-09

I had the strange idea of writing haiku about each one of this week's books, but it didn't pan out. Filing the idea away for the future...

Superman 695: There's a moment where, during a fight with Mon-El, Parasite gets a taste of Bizarro's powers and can't handle it; I found myself wishing Parasite would've broken out into Bizarro-speak. Later, Mon-El learns just how much General Lane has manipulated things against Kryptonians, but also learns that others are working to bring Lane down -- including someone who was supposed to be dead. Oh, and Mon-El has sex!

World's Finest 3 (of 4): This time the team-up features Supergirl and Batgirl (who track down Toyman and Mr. Freeze and learn just what they're up to); events take a turn for the worse, meaning the final issue will finally feature the big guns of the Superman and Batman "families."

Detective Comics 860: A satisfying conclusion to the story of how Kate Kane became Batwoman; and Kate learns the truth about her twin sister, confirming what I suspected three issues ago.

Green Lantern 49: I wasn't going to pick this up, even with the "Blackest Night" tie-in. Most of it deals with GL John Stewart's first becoming aware of the threat, but the last few pages actually picked up on a thread from the main series, so it seemed essential.

Gotham City Sirens 7:
See how Catwoman,
Ivy and Harley spend time
apart at Christmas.

(Got a haiku in after all! I'm the man!)

Victorian Undead 2 (of 6): Government agents have warned Sherlock Holmes not to investigate the strange events. You know, the zombies. Naturally, Holmes and Watson do not comply. By the way, from what I've heard so far about the movie, it sounds like Holmes fans such as myself will enjoy this miniseries much more. I'm going to try to keep an open mind, though.

2 comments:

Frank Miller said...

Much as I'm loving most of "The Blackest Night," Gotham City Sirens was my favorite of the lot. But Mon-el can't have sex until he gets to the future and hooks up with Shadow Lass. That is so uncool.

Joe in Philly said...

I'm sure Shadow Lass would appreciate the fact that he's experienced...assuming, of course, that he wasn't previously a virgin.