If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Week In Comics 8-17-11

So there are these books, then those I bought today, and the final issue of "Flashpoint" next week, and then...well, that's the question, isn't it? Will I keep buying any books at all? Right now, I don't know. I'm not buying into the new DC Universe. (If I get around to it I'll elaborate on that.) The question is, will I bother to go to the comic book stores at all, for the Simpsons/Futurama books or other things I take a chance on from time to time?

Superboy 11
Supergirl 67
Superman/Batman 87: All three of these are the last issues of these series. There isn't going to be a Superman/Batman book in the new DC, at least not at first. And the changes to the other books starting with their new #1 issues are not to my liking at all, so this is it. All storylines are wrapped up (except for a little loose end in "Superboy") in a satisfactory way. The Superboy and Supergirl books are two that I've really enjoyed; they've been more consistently good than most of the monthly series I've been buying, and they both end (as are many of the DC books) with sweet, heartwarming final pages. "Superman/Batman?" Not so consistent, and I dropped it until these last three issues. It ends with the two heroes on a rooftop, as they so often find themselves. Hard for these two to have a private chat on the street, don't you know. Superman's not entirely satisfied with the resolution of the case, and Batman advises him to let it go, making a neat comparison of the two and their styles: "Last night, while you were paining over this, there were nine murders in Gotham. Six of them remain unsolved. You're an architect, Clark. You're building a future. I'm a fireman. I put out fires as best I can, and then move on to the next one."

Simpsons Comics 181: Ned Flanders on a cruise ship for the religious, with cruise director Reverend Roy: "The eleventh commandment is fun, fun, fun! Pan-denominational, monogamous, non-alcoholic fun, that is!" And poor Rod and Tod are left behind with the Simpsons. "Left behind" -- get it? I'm so funny!

No comments: