If you read only one blog full of ranting and raving about sports (local and otherwise), movies, TV shows, miscellaneous pop culture, life and other assorted flotsam and jetsam, make it this one!

Friday, July 15, 2011

I Want To Marry You

On this blog a while back I mentioned that, once upon a time, I became an ordained minister online, but never did anything with it. I suggested that, as marriage equality continues on its inevitable path to becoming the law of the land, I could begin marrying same-sex couples to relieve other ministers of some of their workload. (This isn't to say I wouldn't marry straight couples, of course.) As it turned out, after I posted that I went to their website and couldn't log on. I sent an email and got a reply that said their databases have been moved and updated over the years and, long story short, they couldn't find any record of me. I was told I'd have to go through the process again.

So I did, and I'm once again an ordained minister, with a church whose beliefs on same-sex marriage widely diverge from many other religions.

Today I was talking with my friend Kurt and he suggested that, since I need money, I should start advertising my ministerial services and begin marrying people. Of course, there's a little bit more I have to do to even begin to perform weddings or other ceremonies. For one, I'd need some credentials to prove that I'm ordained, credentials that they'll happily provide...for a price, of course. And seeing as how money is not falling from any trees around my house, I'm not going to pay for such credentials unless I actually need to use them.

Besides, I have no idea what the going rates are, although I will say that I'm happy to undercut the competition, within reason. ;-)

So, while I'm not going to post an ad on Craigslist or anything, I'll just say that if you need any services performed and don't mind hiring someone who's never performed any services before, and if you're not in a real hurry or you don't need to see actual credentials (so if we're talking weddings, plan ahead), keep me in mind. Remember, I'll undercut the competition's rates.

And if you read the title of this post and thought I was proposing to you, and you're a man, and you're interested, well, you should get in touch with me right away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if Obama needs to supply his official birth certificate (NOT "certificate of live birth") then you need to provide an official certificate saying that you are an official minister of religion who is capable of performing same-sex marriages. Nothing else will do.